Monday, August 21, 2017

Farewell

This is a bittersweet day: I am saying goodbye to History in Photos. I've been at this for five years and have put a lot of time and effort into finding historical photos that - to me, and hopefully to you - are interesting, educational, and have something to say about the human condition. Other priorities are now calling, but it has been a vastly interesting - and occasionally obsessive - journey for me. I never did this for page views but I hope it has been interesting for you as well. 

I end, somewhat symbolically, with the final set of photos from the 1954 road trip taken by the four Canadian ladies.

Audrey James and Marg Thompson with a dog in the back 
of a truck, De Winton, Alberta, August 12, 1954
  
Helen Salkeld, Anna Brown, Audrey James, Rosemary Gilliat and the 
Thompson family stopping for lunch, Kananaskis, Alberta, August 15, 1954
 
Billy Thompson and Helen Salkeld, Kananaskis, Alberta, August 15, 1954
 
Anna Brown in the Rockies, Kananaskis Road, Alberta, August 15, 1954
 
Rain, Fraser Canyon, British Columbia, August 19, 1954
 
Helen Salkeld eating in her tent near Fraser River, British Columbia, August 19, 1954
 
Anna Brown and Rosemary Gilliat writing and reading by candlelight 
at a camp near Fraser River, British Columbia, August 19, 1954
 
Anna Brown eating by a tent at a camp site in Garibaldi 
Provincial Park, British Columbia, August 23, 1954
 
Pipe band playing on ferry near Bowen Island, 
Howe Sound, British Columbia, August 21, 1954
 
After the rain all belongings are spread out to dry in 
Garibaldi Provincial Park, British Columbia, August 25, 1954
 
Helen Salkeld and Anna Brown erecting tents near 
Copper Mountain, British Columbia, August 27, 1954
 
Anna Brown and Rosemary Gilliat erecting a tent, 
possibly Belmont Lake, Ontario, September 5, 1954
 
 Source: BiblioArchives/LibraryArchives Canada

9 comments:

  1. Thank you very much. I had a look every day before going to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for all the wonderful photos, your time and your energy. Its been amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your time and effort for so long. I am sure I am not alone in telling you how much your work was appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be a relief in some senses to no longer have this commitment.

    It saddens me that so many blogs are no longer maintained - I am not referring to you when I say this.

    In the last few years people are leaving bits and pieces and traces of their activities and interests all over the place.

    I myself lost my 'impetus'(for want of a better word) for maintaining my own studio blog and do regret it. Having said that I do want to return to regular posting. It's printmakingart.blogspot by the way.

    A diary or online journal can be of great use to the individual and I have referred to my own blog from time to time when trying to remember how I used a specific technique or when that exhibition in e.g., China took place and so on. I love blogs so I hope people keep writing them - and I really do appreciate the commitment and time it requires

    so mainly I just want to say a big THANK YOU and
    good luck with your further projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad news to hear you're calling it quits. I've been quietly checking this page, and some of your others, for a couple of years now, and have always enjoyed it.

    All the best for your future endeavours.

    Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for all of your efforts. I too have enjoyed your posts over the years and wish you the best. Cheers.

    joshua

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all you did. It's nice to look at historic pictures and for a brief moment see that part of history that now only resides perhaps as a photograph to some. For others - a memory. Again thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am very grateful that you put time and effort into finding these amazing and interesting old photos. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really I would you like to say thank you for share this amazing post.
    Free SEO Tips And Tricks

    ReplyDelete